Dating your spouse is beneficial to your marriage. The National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia lists 5 reasons based on strong statistics about the importance of dating.
1. Dating can improve communication. Date nights may help spouses to “stay current” with each other’s lives and offer one another support for meeting life challenges.
2. A growing body of research suggests that couples who engage in novel activities that are fun, active, or otherwise arousing—from hiking to dancing to travel to card games—enjoy higher levels of relationship quality. ( I just read an article by therapist Hannah Eaton about the value of wilderness dates.)
3. Date nights allow couples to focus on their relationship, to share feelings, to engage in romantic activities with one another, and to try new things, date nights may strengthen or rekindle that romantic spark that can be helpful in sustaining the fires of love over the long haul.
4. Date nights may solidify an expectation of commitment among couples by fostering a sense of togetherness, by allowing partners to signal to one another—as well as friends and family—that they take their relationship seriously, and by furnishing them with opportunities to spend time with one another, to communicate, and to enjoy fun activities together.
5. Date nights may be helpful for relieving stress on couples, as they allow them to enjoy time with one another apart from the pressing concerns of their ordinary life.
Engaged couples, newlyweds, and “oldy-weds” are encouraged to attend. Each Date Night begins at 5pm and will include a brief overview of the topic which will set the stage for discussion. Couples are then sent out for their own private date..
The Dates will be held on the fourth Saturday of each month. Monthly attendance is not required; however, there is great benefit to participating regularly. Dates will begin at 5pm at the Pender Dr. Office & Community Center through November and the Date in December will more than likely be in the completed church building.
The cost of participation is $40 per couple for all the dates and the resources– and there will be a chance to win fabulous prizes given each date night. Please do not let the cost prohibit your participation; scholarships are available. Please register by September 13, 2019 so that we can plan for enough materials. Pay online or in person on the first Date Night, September 28, 2019.
If you have any questions regarding Date Night, please email or call Kristin Colligan at email@example.com or at 703-591-1974.
Time and Place
5:00* - 8:00 pm | Fourth Saturday of the Month
September 28, 2019 - June 27, 2020
Pender Office & Community Center
3957 Pender Drive, Suite 100
Fairfax, VA 22030